All who attended the Naples Music Club Benefit on January 23, 2014 were lifted to new heights in music as they witnessed Priscila masterfully performed a marathon Program. It was truly magical !
In the Program:
“Nineteen-year-old Priscila Navarro is a remarkable individual as well as musician. She was born in a small town in central Peru where only folk music was played. At the age of 9, she won first place in a regional math competition. Her family moved to Lima where she could attend a special pre-engineering school on a scholarship. In Lima, she began studying piano at the National Conservatory of Music while continuing an intense ten hour-a-day engineering program where she was first in her class academically. When she was 13, she decided that music was here primary interest. However, her family was of modest means and she didn’t even have a piano at home. Michael Baron heard her play when he went to Peru to give a concert. He immediately offered her a scholarship at FGCU even though she was only 15.
Since arriving at FGCU, she has won four major international competitions in which she was frequently the youngest person competing. These include the South American Chopin Competition, the 20th International Chopin Competition, the 15th Biennial International Beethoven Competition, and the International Liszt-Garrison Competition.
She made her debut in Carnegie Hall in March, 2013, to great acclaim. She is now giving converts internationally and performing with numerous symphony orchestras annually. Dr. Michael Baron, her professor, mentor, and Head of Keyboard Studies at the Bower School of Music at FGCU, said that “…she is recognized as one of the leading pianist of her generation.””
- Toccata in C minor, BWV 911, Johan Sebastian Bach (1683-1750)
- Sonata in C Major, Op. 2, No. 3, Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
- Sonata No. 3 In B minor, Op. 58, 1. Allegro maestoso, Frederic Chopin(1810-1849)
- Der Muller und der Bach (The Miller and the Brook), Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
- Auf dem Wasser zu singen (To be sung upon the Water), arr. by Franz Liszt (1811-1886)
- Mephisto Waltz No. 1, S.514, Der Tanz in der Dorfschenke (The Dance in the Village Inn), Franz Liszt
- Ccantu (2011), Jimmy Lopez (b. 1978)
- I Got Rhythm, George Gershwin (1898-1937), arr. by Earl Wild (1915-2010)
The Program was followed by refreshments and a chance to congratulate Priscila on her performance.