Middle School Band and Orchestra Master Classes
Second-year instrumentalists are provided five, ninety-minute lessons. These small group lessons (3-6 students) are taught by professional musicians. Forty-five students benefited in the 2011-12 school year. The classes are offered to young people who have never studied privately. Funding was by the NMC and a grant from the United Arts Council.
Class Piano Lessons
After school small group piano lessons are provided by on-site school music teachers to students at Golden Terrace Elementary School and Bonita Springs Middle School. Thirty-six students are currently enrolled in this program that is new this 2011-12 school year. The program is supported by the Club’s Laura Mahnil Fernando Memorial Fund. Click on photo to enlarge.
Club supported collaboratively:
Pre-K Violin Literacy Program – Guadalupe Early Childhood Center, Immokalee. Seventy-two four-year-old children receive literacy-based violin lessons twice a week. The children are taught by FGCU Bower School of Music majors. The children develop better aural skills, pre-reading skills, fine motor skills and self-discipline. This State-recognized program will be expanded to serve 102 students in Collier County in 2012-13. Click on photo to enlarge.
Mariachi Program – Pinecrest Elementary School, Immokalee
Thirty 3rd through 5th graders are learning violin or guitar (with more choosing the violin) as part of the Miracle Plus after school program. Now in its third year, participating children have one 50-minute class each week taught by FGCU Bower School of Music music education majors. Click on photo to enlarge.
“The outreach programs such as the Guadalupe Center Pre-K Violin, Pinecrest Mariachi, and the Master classes serve as a terrific real world laboratory for Bower School of Music students as they transition classroom theory into teaching practice.”
Rod Chesnutt, Ph.D.
Head of Instrumental Studies
Bower School of Music
Florida Gulf Coast University
The Naples Music Club also:
- Serves in a strong support capacity for FGCU’s Bower School of Music.
- Organizes Student Recitals so that teachers who are Naples Music Club members can offer public performance opportunities to their students.
- Shares the talents of members who volunteer to mentor, coach, teach, or accompany.
- Arranges for member musicians to educate and entertain for a variety of audiences.
- Provides educational seminars and master classes.
- Serves as a resource for those seeking to learn about the musical opportunities available in the community.